The awards are organized by Urban Realm - a leading body of architecture press in Scotland. We are also in partnership with The Drum - a Global media brand that covers all aspects of the modern creative industries
Entries deadline: Friday 20 April 2018.
Nominations will be announced: Thursday 7 June 2018
Awards ceremony to be held: Thursday 23 August 2018
- Gain positive PR
- Stand out from competitors
- Make your brand/agency/practice famous
- Personal and staff development
- Be known as award winning
- Showcase your talents and skills to existing and potential clients
- Reassure clients that they are associated with the best
- Accentuate the importance of design and architecture in Scotland
- work done by Scottish design consultancies, advertising agencies, printers and client companies
- work done for Scottish clients no matter where the designer is based
- work must be published, displayed, broadcast or mailed between 01/02/17 and 30/03/18
- buildings and projects located in Scotland
- buildings and projects designed by Scottish architects, engineers, designers sited anywhere
- projects must be completed between 01/02/17 and 30/03/18
Work previously entered into the Scottish Design Awards will not be eligible.
Still unsure? Get in touch to ask…
Download your entry pack, this will give you all the information you need on entering the Scottish Design Awards
Click submit entires on the homepage navigation of the site and follow the process.
Decide which categories you are going to enter. You may enter as many categories as you like but each must be treated as a separate entry and payment made for each.
To add an entry, go to the dashboard in the menu at the top of the page and choose ‘My companies’ from the drop down. On the next page, choose or add the company you would like to enter on behalf of and then click ‘Add an Entry’.
Add a short description of no more than 60 words as an overview of the project.
Please note: In the event your entry is nominated for an award, this text will go live on the website.
You have the option to acknowledge another company if the work has been jointly created.
Upload your entry report (templates available under next tab).
Upload hi-res images (at least one image required - file limit 10MB. jpg, gif or png files accepted) of your work and include any supporting YouTube or Vimeo video URLs.
Please note: In the event your entry is nominated for an award, the images and videos will go live on the website and the first image will be used in the awards ceremony presentation.
Make sure you are happy with all aspects of your online entry as changes cannot be made once submitted and paid for.
Once you have uploaded all* of your entries, go to the dashboard in the menu at the top of the page, chose ‘My Companies’ again from the drop down, chose the company whose entries you wish to pay for. add all to your basket and proceed with payment from there.
*Please note: you will only receive the subsequent entry discounted rate if you pay for all your submissions at once. You are able to leave entries saved in your basket until they are all ready.
Once payment is processed you will be sent a confirmation email and a receipt will be sent to your accounts department.
Once you have submitted and paid online, please prepare and post your physical entries (see entering your boards).
All entries must be received by the deadline 20 April 2018
For the online part of your entry, follow the step by step instructions outlined in the HOW TO ENTER section above. For most categories, your online entry must be coupled with a postal submission. Please see the below guidelines for what should be included.
FORMATS BY CATEGORY
– Mounted artwork (max size A2) except for brochures, annual reports, publications, posters and direct mail where samples should be submitted. High-res Images of your entry must be uploaded online.
Packaging & Point of Sale
– Examples where possible or photographs should be mounted onto boards (Max size A2) plus High-res Images of your entry must be uploaded online.
– Photographs mounted onto boards (max size A2). Exhibition plans should also be provided plus High-res Images of your entry must be uploaded online.
– Please supply websites as URL’s and upload 3 high-res screen grabs online.
- Entries into the including Animation must be supplied as an embed code from youtube or vimeo and 3 screen grabs online
- Mounted onto boards (max size A2). Exhibition plans should also be provided plus High-res Images of your entry must be uploaded online.
– Mounted artwork onto boards (max size A2) plus High-res Images of your entry must be uploaded online
One A1 board and one A4 file containing hard copies of the following:
• 300 word (max) overview of the design concept for the lighting and the relationship of the lighting design to the building and site. – word document or pdf.
• 100 words (max) - A technical summary of equipment used, control methods, power used by the installation and any specific technical challenges in the project. – word document or pdf.
• Conceptual information as presented to the client, presentation material, CG Images etc -– word document, pdf or JPEG images.
• MPEG, Quicktime or .mov file of the lighting installation or the judges to view it in situ.
• Photography of the project indicating the final lighting effects achieved. Any additional lighting, the use of High Dynamic Range imaging or digital post production work to be noted with
caption information - JPEG images.
• 3-4 high-res images of the lighting installation uploaded online. These images will be used for publication in the event of a nomination – JPEG images.
ARCHITECTURE, ENGINEERING, PLACE MAKING / MASTER PLANNING ENVIROMENTAL and FUTURE BUILDINGS
One A1 board and one A4 file containing hard copies of the following:
• Photographs of the finished product
• Site plans, elevations and sections
• 400 word (max) overview of the project including purpose and brief, location and site characteristics, cost (This must be included in your A4 file and submitted online when entering)
• Background material including computer generated images, copies of preliminary sketches, alternative preliminary schemes, information on context, precedents for design and excerpts from working drawings may also be submitted.
• All entries must be accompanied by a HIGH-RES PDF or JPEG 360 dpi uploaded online.
- All entries must be supplied in line with the How to Enter and Submission Formats sections.
- The judges reserve the right to re-allocate entries into other categories where they feel necessary.
- The judges also reserve the right to remove categories that aren’t strong enough to have work nominated. These entries will not be refunded as they will have been judged accordingly with the rest.
- The organisers reserve the right to retain entries for subsequent publication/exhibition in relation to the awards.
- No feedback will be given relating to individual entries.
- The judging panels decisions is final.
- If you do not abide by the rules, which results in a cost to the organisers, then the submitting company is liable for costs.
- Each entry must be treated as a separate entry and paid for accordingly.
- Entering work is at your own risk. Except for high value samples, entries cannot be returned. To discuss a return, please contact us in advance.
- Whilst every care will be taken in the storage of entries, the organisers will not accept responsibility for loss or damage of entries.
- All entries submitted should conform to the British Codes of Advertising and Sales Promotion. Any entry that has a complaint upheld against it by the Advertising Standards Authority will be disqualified.
- Once entries are submitted, they will go forward for judging and cannot be amended.
- Entries must be paid before the judging date. Entries not paid for will be taken out the judging process and therefore, the awards.
- After judging, entries cannot be withdrawn and refunds cannot be given.
The Scottish Design Awards will be judged by two stellar panels: one for design, the other for architecture.
Each of the panels will be compiled of industry experts who will use their insight and experience to deliberate the results.
View the judges here.
The DESIGN panel will be looking for:
- fresh thinking and originality
- beautiful execution
- great storytelling
- work that pushes and progresses the client brief beyond expectations
- work which emotionally connects with its audience
The ARCHITECTURE panel will be hoping to see:
- work that is programmatically, formally and spatially rich
- design that pushes boundaries
- projects that address issues of sustainability
- a people focused, client driven approach
First entry: £175 exc. VAT
Additional entry*: £99 exc. VAT
Members of The Drum Network receive a 10% discount off the entry fee.
You may enter as many categories as you like, however each entry must be treated as a separate entry and payment made for each.
*The additional entry discount will only be applied when entries are processed at the same time.
Date: Thursday 23 August 2018
Time: 7pm for 7:30pm until 1am
Venue: Tbc Glasgow
Dress code: Black tie
- Drinks Reception
- Welcome Speech
- Three course meal
- Awards Show
- Dancing and Networking